30 June 2011

All in Good Company


I took a Geography class in Winter term last year.  I had been waiting to take that class since I had arrived at OIT and read the class description.  It said “blah, blah, blah, Australia, New Zealand, and the South Pacific”.  Sold. 
It took  over 2 years for me to be able to fit it in to my schedule, however, and I was afraid it wouldn’t happen at all.  However, in the end, I was able to sign off on both it, and my final requirement on my International Business degree at the same time – I was thrilled.
My teacher was an interesting woman, from Slovakia, and I just liked hearing her talk about all the places we covered – she seemed to have traveled everywhere before, like there was no where she hadn’t seen. I fell off in daydreams quite a bit, imagining that someday I would be the same way.  It wasn’t till the very last 2 weeks of the term that we started talking about the South Pacific, though, and then I started talking to her about Australia when I found out she was heading to Perth for spring break!
To cut to the chase, she put me in touch with a friend of hers that lives in Adelaide.  Over her Spring Break trip, she had had dinner with him and he offered himself and his wife’s “city knowledge” to Chad and I when we arrived, and said we must go to dinner once we arrived. Chad and I really we in no position to turn down a dinner invitation, and we were excited to meet some locals.
 Lo and behold, Barry is a New Yorker, and his wife is from Tasmania! They were incredibly generous to treat us to a most delicious Italian dinner with wine and desert!  I enjoyed some of my beloved iced coffee, and Chad was in heaven with his new-found love: carmel bananna crème pie; Deliciouso!
To kick start us on our new Wine Adventure (Now, living in the heart of wine country, I am determined to try lots of wine and become a ‘wine-o’!) they even bestowed us with a bottle of “the best white wine ever” and a red wine that, according to Barry’s circle, is referred to as “Heaven” – Oh boy, that one is waiting for a special occasion!!  I feel spoiled already!

1 comment:

  1. Totally jealous you are in wine country! Can't wait to hear your stories! :) Miss you - lots of love and hugs!

    ReplyDelete