06 December 2011

Christmas Celebrations with the Flinders Family

*Chad*

We got a bit sun burned in December! That just sounds strange to say as an American but that’s what’s goin on; Australian sun burns for Christmas. Now that the weather has gotten markedly better, Melissa and I have been venturing out to the beach (with the rest of South Australia) for some sun bathing and a quick splash in the bay. I am really looking forward to the long days of summer and shark season! Someone told me the other day that sharks tend to come into some of the bays around here during the summer months. That’s exciting and a bit scary all at the same time. Even though I have had a chance to see a great white shark during a cage dive (http://sharkdiver.com/) I did a few years ago, my dream is to be outside of a cage while in the presence of a shark. At this point any shark will do but in the long run I have a list of sharks I would like to see in the open. Anyway, I’ve begun rambling.

Melissa and I have been going to a lot of Christmas celebrations lately. Our South Australian hospital family has gone out of their way to make sure that Melissa and I are included in everything possible this holiday season. We have been to a radiographers Christmas party, a South Australia Institute of Radiography Christmas party and even a Pain Management Clinic Christmas party (and we only know a couple people from the Pain Clinic). Even though I am extremely grateful for everyone’s hospitality and for the invitations, the Pain Clinic party this past weekend was the best of them all. No screaming loud music or super high end restaurant, just some people gathering at the bosses house for an early dinner, good company and some live music. People brought the families and different types of foods and then just sat around eating, chatting, telling stories, playing music and watching the young ones go nuts in the pool. And for those of you who know me well, yes it was really hard for me to stay out of the pool! The party was held at a doctor’s place up in the Adelaide hills just outside a German town called Handorf. As we pulled off the road onto the long dirt driveway, Melissa and I noticed a field of highland steer coming over to greet us. I had never seen a Highland steer and I assume Melissa hadn’t either. Consequently, we instantly burst into hysterics. Here is this massive animal with large white horns protruding laterally from the most ridiculous looking head you could put on an animal. The things walk around with a huge head of bangs that hang down over their eyes. They just stood in the field, chewing away with their ginger bangs obscuring their eyes. It was hilarious. The food was a plethora of different types of meats, pizzas, fruits and breads. Truly a carnivore’s meal if I have ever seen one. We had chicken tandoori, lamb chops, garlic prawns, pork fillets and spicy beef all cooked in a homemade pizza oven! I have decided that every red blooded male should have a wood pizza oven. Later in the evening Edmond, Monty, Lachlan, and Dilip all took turns playing various guitars. It was great to sit back, relax and eat my weight in food. We are both very thankful to have been invited to spend the afternoon on “the ranch”.

Melissa and I forgot to write about a little surprise we had a few weeks ago. At about 2:30 in the morning we awoke to what sounded like a train rolling past the front yard. A few nanoseconds after that, the windows and doors shook violently for a very brief second. Then, it was done. I was sure that Australia didn’t have earthquakes but after checking a web page, it turns out that this area has a lot of really small earthquakes on a fairly regular basis. In the end nothing broke and no one was hurt, just another cool little something to add to our list.

I think that’s about it for me. Thanks for checking in and we both hope that you are all happy, safe and enjoying your holiday season. We will be missing you all from the beach this Christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment