10 February 2012

Wine-O'Clock In The Morning

*Melissa*

It just doesn’t feel right to be poured a glass of wine at 10 o’clock in the morning. Don’t get me wrong- I am always up for trying new things – including new wines – but even I feel a bit guilty swirling a glass of white an hour after downing a crepe for breakfast.

It was something that had been talked about since a month or so after we got here, one of those things that’s brought up as “yea, we’ll have to do that some time!” as a friendly saying to make you feel included; one of those things you wish would really happen, but quickly realize won’t: a wine tour with the co-workers. Lo and behold, however, after 7 months our co-worker Ben pulled through, planning and organizing a weekend wine tour for me, Chad, and all our co-workers who were interested!

Bright and early Saturday morning, we gathered in groups at designated pick-up points and awaited our bus – yes, our bus. There were 19 of us, and we filled all but one single seat on that bus and headed into the Adelaide Hills towards McLaren Vale for a day of wine-tasting, and a yummy lunch.

Chad and I, being new to the wine world got a bit more excited about the wood-fired pizza buffet advertisement at the first winery we stopped at, but enjoyed being introduced to the many varieties of wine we never knew existed, including Port (“old fortified” here), dessert wines with names I can’t spell, rose’(my favorite), semillion, savingnese, etc.

We visited Woodstock wineries (where I found most of the ones I enjoyed), Shottesbrook (fantastic white, but the rest – eh. I enjoyed the free-roaming Rhodesian Ridgeback more than anything!), Gemstone (organic wines – where only the really expensive ones were any good, of course), and Kangilla winery (where Chad ACTUALLY found a red wine he liked!). I’d be interested to know if any of these are heard of in the States?

It was lovely to spend some time with folks outside of work – and I was so glad that we got to experience the McLaren Vale wine region with people we knew, rather than some random drunkards or a Hen’s party! We had some great Italian food at a place called Oscars, some great wine, and great company. What more could you ask for in a weekend?

Sadly, I must admit, more-so than the wines, the best part of the tour (for me) was a delicious “grapple-cider” over lunch and the Bracegirdle’s chocolate fudge brownie I took home for dessert!!

No comments:

Post a Comment