05 August 2011

Mexican Food and A Little German Town

I can’t think of a better weekend than waking up to crisp, clear, cloud-free blue skies in Adelaide. It was our first taste of warm weather, and it was hard to not be full of smiles, and excitement to GTF out of the indoors! Saturday was an adventure as I purchased something I honestly never thought I would in my entire lifetime: a push-bike helmet. Yes, I am embarrassed to even admit that I own one, even if it is against the law to ride my shiny new bike without one! Chad, too – although he opted to go for the slightly less stupid-looking one for a heftier chunk of change. Me? Cheap-o special-k one. Oh well.

We also explored the SA museum and took a little side trip into the ritzier “North Adelaide” across the river. And now, if you didn’t know this before, allow me to explain that Chad and I are very much food-people. While most people follow their noses, we follow our tummy’s. We plan most trips (and I’m serious here) by restaurants we want to try. For example, a couple weekends ago, we planned our entire Saturday around a restaurant called “The Burger Foundry”. I say this to somewhat explain our reason for finally traversing the River Torens: A delicious “Yakitori Takumi” review in the local Advertiser! We walked blocks and blocks looking for it, finally finding it, and… it was closed. The Mexican Restaurant (yes, Americans, MEXICAN food in Australia). Not just ANY Mexican restaurant either! An authentic Mexican Restaruant. And I will leave the experience at this: I can not tell you how odd it is to be an American, eating at a Mexican restaurant in Australia surrounded entirely by non-english speaking Asians.

Sunday was even better, as our “House-mate” was kind enough to treat us to a trip into the Hills and a stroll through Handorf. Handorf is a little German town up in the lush Adelaide Hills that is mainly a tourist-town offering waaayy too many tasty sweets and German treats! We over-spent just a bit on delicious fudge, carrot cake, bananna cake, and carmel slices. Then we stopped by The Old Pump House Pub where the 3 of us relaxed with a drink and – at least for me – a delicious Kangaroo fillet atop some sweet potato mash and au-jus!

No comments:

Post a Comment