04 November 2011

Chad's Ramblings

The days have begun to last a little longer and we have had a few days of warmer weather; summer is on the way for sure. The warmer weather always makes me think of home, family and friends. Summer has always been my favorite time of the year. The longer days and warmer weather meant boat trips with Gordon, camping at one of the lakes, camp fires with friends and lots of BBQs. Summer in SA means the ocean turns a fantastic shade of turquoise and becomes more inviting every day. I made the mistake of succumbing to the oceans siren like cries the other day; instantly regretting the idea. The water looks fantastic but it’s still a bit of a trick, its freezing! I am looking forward to trying some new outdoor water adventures though. Now that the weather is improving, its time to make the most of being south of the equator: Melissa and I are planning on taking a kayaking exercise class and a kayaking dolphin tour.

Unfortunately the pastry shops that line the streets have gotten the better of me and I have, once again, managed to pack on some pounds of insulation. Not a good thing when it’s supposed to be getting into the upper 90’s. On the topic if weights, I finally figured out what the heck a “stone” is (didn’t even need goolge). I was in the CT department helping out and I happen to notice a scale in the corner of the room. The face of measured body weight in kilograms and stones! I was so excited I think I might have laughed out loud. For those of us who might not be up on British measurements, 1 stone is about 6 kilograms (over that really) and 1 kilogram is about 2.2 pounds. Learning CAN be fun!

Melissa and I have been wandering further and further outside of the areas that we normally frequent, discovering new places and hidden treasures around South Australia. I’m sure that local people think nothing of our “hidden places” around Adelaide, but for two foreign college students it’s exciting to see a new street or see an interesting new restaurant. Not to mention the fact that it makes getting on the wrong bus a bit more exciting. One thing I have to say about Adelaide in general is that people drive like crazy. Crossing a street, even while using a cross walk, can be life threatening: just the other day I almost became a hood ornament for a little old man driving in station wagon. I needed to get across two lanes of traffic. So I, being the courteous gentleman that I am, waited until the traffic had come to a dead stop before running for my life. The lane closest to me was clear and the lane farthest from me had bumper to bumper traffic, which had come to a full stop. I looked toward the direction of traffic and steeped into the street just in time to hear the sound of screeching breaks. I had just enough time to slide my feet back and pull my hands out of the way. The car slid to a stop and I fell forward onto the right front side panel. I instantly shot a glance at the driver, ready to dispense a verbal lashing that he/she would not soon forget. The poor guy was about a thousand years old with his eyes wide and his hands over his mouth. After seeing his expression I decided to keep the lashing for someone more deserving. Just goes to show ya, always watch for the guy trying to jump the que.

No comments:

Post a Comment